Monday 14 June 2010

Sticky Short Ribs

I've always wanted to try something from The Ginger Pig Farmers and Butchers in Borough Market. I stumbled across their Marylebone site when I was next door looking for cheese. They farm rare breeds of the best quality on the North York Moors and boy you can taste it. I picked up four short ribs. Beef short ribs have more meat on them and are more tender and juicy than their pork counterpart. Four short ribs cost me £11 and two of them had the same amount of meat on them as a fistful of rump steak! I marinaded the ribs in a mix of soy sauce, homemade brown sauce, Manuka honey, chillies, fresh ginger and mixed spice with a couple of star anise and roasted them in a hot oven for nearly three hours, turning and basting. 
Just when they were resting, I chopped up some cabbage and stir-fried with white wine vinegar,sesame oil, a touch of soy sauce and a sprinkling of black sesame seeds. 
It was a yummy, sticky dinner. 


No comments: