Friday 30 July 2010

Scones - secret recipe

So I've decided to share my secret recipe for scones. This is because, for me, no cake beats a freshly baked scone and so I would like you to make and then invite me over for cream tea ;)
I used to use Nigella's recipe and they were fantastic, but every so often I could detect the salt of the bicarb and there's nothing worse than that. So I've come up with a way that you don't need the bicarb and these are beautiful and light and buttery (no trex!)




225g self raising flour sifted with 1 tsp of baking powder & a pinch of fine salt

30g golden caster sugar

60g/2oz cold, diced unsalted butter

1 egg- beaten, with 4 tablespoons of equal parts milk and Total 2% greek yogurt

1.Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour in wet mix and stir quickly into the dry mix with a knife in cutting motions. 

2.Once all parts have coming together, tip onto a floured surface and gather into a ball (be light and gentle) 

3.Sprinkle flour over the top and onto a rolling pin and then gently roll out so the top is flat but still 2.5c tall. 

4.Dust a cutter of your choice and press out scones, shake gently to get the scone out and then pop onto a baking sheet. I use silicone sheets and a baking non stick spray. 

TIP - If you put them all very close together it helps them to 'grow tall' :)

5.Brush the tops with a mix of egg and milk wash and put into a preheated oven of 220C for 10 mins and then cool. 

6.Once cooled, slice open and smother in clotted cream and strawberry jam. 

No comments: