Sunday 28 October 2012

Mini Key Lime Pies

I've been on a jelly and neurofen diet for the last few days. I am ill...feel sorry for me! I've felt very sorry for myself, missed out on a couple of big nights out and instead of sucking limes and licking salt at the bar, I've been gargling salt water over the sink. At least being holed up at home means I can BAKE and watch Joe Gilgun on telly.
My brother bought me a bottle of Key Lime Juice back from Miami. It's been sitting in the fridge waiting for this. These pies are seriously cute, I chickened out and made the bases quite thick at risk of them falling apart but once the lime curd is set, it sort of holds the case together. Makes 12
I made the crusts with
- 250g of digestives, processed into crumbs and mixed with 120g of unsalted butter. Pressed into cupcake cases, in a cupcake tin. Bake for 10 mins
Fill with lime curd mix
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- juice and zest of 3-4 limes
and bake at 170C for 10 mins. 
Let cool, refrigerate, and make meringue with the leftover egg whites, whisked with sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
Decorate and sprinkle with more zest or blow torch, because that's the fun bit and sort of sets the meringue.
Well, this one was just silly!

3 comments:

thelittleloaf said...

These are gorgeous! I'm always looking for excuses to use my mini blowtorch - might just have to give these a go :-)

oomph. said...

these look good! i actually love the crusts and save them for last...especially when eating pies! so...the thick crust is a plus for me!

[oomph.]

Milli said...

thelittleloaf - me too! There must be so many fun things to be done with a blow torch...other than brûlées!
oomph- that's too funny, was thinking of writing a post on my funny eating habits tomorrow... this one sounds a goodun.